Wednesday

5 Reasons Why You Should Retweet

Twitter is, perhaps, the most difficult social network to understand.

  • There is no private space Even reply messages are publicly visible, so there isn't much room for intimate relationship building
  • Often times, important people follow you It's common to feel afraid of tweeting because you don't necessarily want to bother or annoy people
  • Twitter is really fast paced One of the first things most new users notice about twitter, is how frequently your feed updates.
Honestly, my recommendation for people just now signing up with Twitter is just to ignore all of those factors. Follow who you want to follow, say everything and anything you feel like saying. There are so many millions of people on Twitter that you're twitter account will succeed if you just stay active and be yourself for a few months.

So, Why Retweet?

Ideally, if you follow my aforementioned advice and just be yourself on Twitter you will end up with a group of followers who share your world views. This means that there is a great chance that anything you like, hate, find funny or are just glad you read will illicit the same reaction from your followers. So, it is my personal opinion that whenever you see a tweet or read an article that you enjoy, you should retweet it immediately and without hesitation.
Still not convinced? Let's go over a few more reasons:
  1. Tweets Are Easy To Ignore If I'm following you on Twitter, and you retweet an article about hair care products (which I don't care about), it's really no bother for me to just ignore it and keep looking for a tweet I'm more interested in reading. In fact, there is a guy who shall remain nameless that I've been following on Twitter for four months and has yet to post a tweet that I wanted anything to do with. However, months ago he linked to an article I liked so I just continue to follow him.
  2. If Your Retweet Annoys A Follower Into Unfollowing You, It Was Probably Going to Happen Eventually Anyway Just stop worrying about losing your followers. If something about you annoys one of your followers, it was only a matter of time before they ditched you anyway, right?
  3. Retweets Are What Make Blogs Succeed If you read an article or tweet that links to a blog you enjoy reading, you are now blessed with an awesome opportunity to help make their blog a success. I know everytime I write something that gets tweeted and retweeted a lot, it gets me really excited to continue blogging. See examples of good examples at @WillemTait 
  4. Retweets Are A Great Way To Get More Followers If I tweet about some nonsense or website that I love or hate, and you take the time out of your day to retweet it, I'm a happy guy. I mean think about this. By retweeting something that links to a website or blog, you are both doing a service to the website mentioned and the person who originally tweeted the article! How awesome is that? Those people owe you.
  5. People Need To Know Say I'm following you on Twitter, and your following someone who just created a product that will change my life forever. Unfortunately, I'm not following this life saving person. They tweet about their product, and you retweet it. You've just changed my life in a big, big way. Too far? Maybe, but there is at least a little validity, don't you think?

Follow @WillemTait for some of the best examples of social networking


No comments:

Post a Comment